DNP Row Selector Control using DataGridView .NET 2.0

Any template questions or comments or suggestions

DNP Row Selector Control using DataGridView .NET 2.0

Postby madman2 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:55 pm

I've crafted a modification to David's DNP RowSelecter User Control template so that it now uses

1) a .NET 2.0 DataGridView rather than a simple DataGrid
2) a VIEW and it's associated primary TABLE rather than just a TABLE

The first point was my primary objective, the second is / was somthing that fell out of my work over the past week. I felt that the VIEW gave the user more complete information regarding what he's selecting; especially if all we are talking about is a TABLE with various LookUp FK's populating ComboBoxes.
The Template still assumes that you'll use the Advanced Entry Form on the TABLE and has the same requirements for MSSQL and the requisite stored proceedures and BLL classes.

My question is ...is this useful? or am I missing somthing in the dOOdads architecture. As I'm new to c#, .NET, dOOdads and My Generation I'd like a sanity check please.

Robert
madman2
Corporal

Postby dnparsons on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:28 am

Welcome aboard, Robert.

madman2 wrote:My question is ...is this useful?

It sure sounds like it, so to solve the problem you posed in another thread:

madman2 wrote:I'd post the template somewhere if I knew how and where.

First, some preliminary recommendations for the Template in MyGeneration (in case you haven't already done these):

- Open your modified version of the template.
    - Open the Properties pane. (There is an icon, or open the collapsible splitter to the left of the Code window.)
    - Click the New Guid button. (Each Template needs a unique identifier so MyGeneration can list it in the Template Browser.)
    - Give it a meaningful name.
    - Change the namespace. (I suggest User.Category or Company.Category, e.g. madman2.Winforms)
    - Click SaveAs, chose a folder location, modify the name, and save.
Now you're ready to share it with the community:

- Head over to the Template Library. http://www.mygenerationsoftware.com/TemplateLibrary/Default.aspx
    - Register (This has its own login. I suggest you use the same userid you use for the Forums to avoid confusion.)
    - Login
    - Click 'Upload New Template' (In the menus on the left for Registered Users.)
    - Browse and select your template.
    - Click Save.
    - Click 'Build Template Archive'.
    - Give the Archive a Title.
    - Add some Descriptive information.
    - Select the Template (You can select mulitple templates in the list with Ctrl-Click.)
    - Select the Categories that relate to the Archive (again, you can Ctrl-Click.)
    - Click Save.

Choosing Categories is important because the Search feature in the Template Library is not functional. The best way to find a template is to browse the Category menus listed on the left of the page. The Library is very active and your template can easily get lost if you do not create an Archive for it and Categorize the Archive.

As you create other templates, files, or articles that you wish to share, after you Upload or Publish, you can either edit an existing Archive (your own of course... you can't edit someone else's Archive) and Ctrl-Click to include the new templates, or Build another Archive to house the related files.

Hope this helps. I'm eagerly awaiting your contribution. BTW, whatever happened to madman1? :wink:
Last edited by dnparsons on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Neal Parsons
EntitySpaces
dnparsons
Lieutenant General

Postby dnparsons on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:50 am

Another Template Library tip:

If you modify your template and want to over-write the old version in the Archive with the new version:

- Login to the Template Library
    - Click 'User Home' in the Registered Users Menu.
    - In the 'Templates (by Title)' area, click the name of the template to be replaced.
    - Click the Edit icon at the top of the page. (It looks like a little pencil.)
    - Browse and select the file.
    - Click Save.

Now the new version of the Template will be the one users download from the Archive. You might want to edit the Archive and mention the changes in the Description or by posting a Message.
David Neal Parsons
EntitySpaces
dnparsons
Lieutenant General

Postby dnparsons on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:24 am

Might as well go whole hog and throw in some suggested Template Library etiquette:

1. It would be considered impolite to have your template appear in another's namespace. You can use one of the generic namespaces, i.e. Microsoft Access or Oracle, or specify your own.

2. I would consider it particularly egregious to use the dOOdads namespace. Let's reserve that for officially released templates.

3. When naming a template, do not give it a name that could be mis-construed as being an official MyGeneration or dOOdads template. E.g. Bad - dOOdads Winform Frontend... Good - Winform FrontEnd(for dOOdads)

Any other suggestions? Am I off-base with these?

Mike and Justin have been really generous by incorporating Library access into MyGeneration. I would hate to see it abused.
David Neal Parsons
EntitySpaces
dnparsons
Lieutenant General

Postby mgnoonan on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:17 am

Since you brought it up... :wink:

I'll request that no one else use the EasyObjects namespace as well. Custom templates are welcome and encouraged, but David makes a good point that we shouldn't confuse official release templates with custom templates.
Matt Noonan
EasyObjects.NET - The O/RM for the Enterprise Library
http://www.easyobjects.net
mgnoonan
Expert

Re:

Postby madman2 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:39 am

dnparsons wrote:Might as well go whole hog and throw in some suggested Template Library etiquette:

1. It would be considered impolite to have your template appear in another's namespace. You can use one of the generic namespaces, i.e. Microsoft Access or Oracle, or specify your own.

2. I would consider it particularly egregious to use the dOOdads namespace. Let's reserve that for officially released templates.

3. When naming a template, do not give it a name that could be mis-construed as being an official MyGeneration or dOOdads template. E.g. Bad - dOOdads Winform Frontend... Good - Winform FrontEnd(for dOOdads)

Any other suggestions? Am I off-base with these?

Mike and Justin have been really generous by incorporating Library access into MyGeneration. I would hate to see it abused.

Thanks for the advice, I hope I have complied well enough.
The template is up there and I look forward to to your, or anyone else's comments.

madman1 ? he wasn't comitted enough :(
madman2
Corporal

Re:

Postby dnparsons on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:25 pm

madman2 wrote:Thanks for the advice, I hope I have complied well enough.

You did good.
madman2 wrote:The template is up there and I look forward to to your, or anyone else's comments.

Plan to give it a spin this weekend
David Neal Parsons
EntitySpaces
dnparsons
Lieutenant General

Organization and etiquette

Postby subscriber on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:57 pm

These are great ideas, my initial thoughts was to the actual structure that shows up in MyGeneration (http://www.mygenerationsoftware.com/php ... 2329#12329) , currently is done by Namespace, I think that some mechanism should be in place for two things ..

To organize this (to make it easy to find even in my collection that I have downloaded as well) and also to set guidelines as mentioned and perhaps:

Architecture/OfficialRelease/Version
Architecture/UserRelease/Version

Also perhaps:
For Example
DAL generator
MySql
MsSql
etc...
WinForms generator
WebForms generator
Common
SQL Code generation