Adding support for other databases

Is there a feature you'd like us to add? Post it here.

Adding support for other databases

Postby jtaylor on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:37 pm

Hello,

I've just downloaded MyGeneration and can see that this is a fantastic tool. Unfortunately, it's all but worthless to me because it doesn't support my primary database server. The database server I work with is an IBM iSeries, which contains a version of DB2 built right into the operating system. The database is different enough from DB2 UDB that the standard DB2 support in MyGeneration does not work.

The iSeries DB2 does provide a OLEDB driver, an ODBC driver, and a .NET Managed provider. How difficult would it be to add the support into MyGeneration? Is this something that can be done by an end-user such as myself, or would it require a development effort by the creator(s) of the product?
jtaylor
Lurker

Postby justin.greenwood on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:03 am

I think on my last project we used IBM Client Access to send records back and forth through client access using the command line and CSV files. I don't have an AS400 lying around my house though... If we can work together on this, I will try to get this into MyGen.
justin.greenwood
Site Admin

Postby jtaylor on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:16 am

Hi Justin,

I can provide access to an iSeries, and all of the necessary middleware drivers.

John.
jtaylor
Lurker

Postby justin.greenwood on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:22 am

Ok - send me any download links, attachments and information to my email account at justin.greenwood@mygenerationsoftware.com.
justin.greenwood
Site Admin

Postby jpvanheerden on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:44 am

Hello

I am trying to get myGeneration to work with the iSeries driver - has anybody had any luck with this? I cannot get myGeneration to show the tables or metadata for the database / library. My connection string should be correct - we use it elsewhere to connect to the same database.

Thanks
Jean-Pierre
jpvanheerden
Staff Sergent

Database driver plug-in support

Postby robregnier on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:10 pm

A great enhancement would be to allow the plugging-in of custom database drivers. That way if the user base has special requirements, we could code up our own and share them with the community.

Rob
robregnier
Lurker

Return to Enhancements