Sybase support

Is there a feature you'd like us to add? Post it here.

Sybase support

Postby Bill Cohagan on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Is there any support for Sybase ASE 12.5 database apps?

TIA,
Bill
Bill Cohagan
Lurker

Postby mike.griffin on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:10 pm

No, I'm sorry. We are going to be opening up the provider model in MyGeneration 2.0 so 3rd parties can create providers. Until then there wont be any Sybase support. :cry:
mike.griffin
Site Admin

Postby Bill Cohagan on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:43 pm

Mike
Thanks for the quick response. Is there a current estimate on the availability of 2.0?

Bill
Bill Cohagan
Lurker

Postby mgnoonan on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:46 pm

I would like to add this to EasyObjects as well. Sybase is a great database, and it's really where SQL Server got it's roots, so I bet there are a lot of similarities.

I guess we're all waiting on MyGen 2.0... :(

But I know Mike has been really busy with EntitySpaces, and that's an important target as well.
Matt Noonan
EasyObjects.NET - The O/RM for the Enterprise Library
http://www.easyobjects.net
mgnoonan
Expert

Postby justin.greenwood on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:40 pm

Like most other unfunded freeware and open source project, MyGeneration's release schedule is subject to the available time and energy of it's authors. Mike is working very hard on EntitySpaces at the moment and I'm expecting my fourth child any day now.

I am looking forward to finishing and releasing MyGeneration 2.0, but I can't realistically promise any dates. An official roadmap with running status is in order though, and I can promise that this week.

With MyMeta2, once we've nailed down the interfaces for meta-data plugins, I would like to recruit some help from the public. If anyone would like to help me with adding some third party MyMeta providers before the actual release of the app, I will get you the information and code you need to do so as soon as it's available.

Thanks,
Justin
justin.greenwood
Site Admin

Postby Bill Cohagan on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:52 pm

Justin
Thanks for the response. I understand the difficulties of scheduling this sort of thing. OTOH, we're trying to make a decision on whether to go with Codesmith of wait for MyGeneration. Obviously MyGeneration has a cost advantage and we'll be using it in a state agency where it's difficult to get a purchase request through the system. Unfortunately our environment is based on a Sybase database; thus the decision is dictated by availability of support for that database.

So, it looks like for now we'll have to go with Codesmith. We'll check back again down the road and see what's happening with your product. Good luck with your efforts (on both MyGeneration and on real life!)

Regards,
Bill
Bill Cohagan
Lurker

Postby mike.griffin on Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:23 pm

Bill, can you find out some info for me? Does Sybase have an OLEDB driver and does it support the OLEDB Schema Rowset API? If it does Sybase would be a pretty easy addition to MyGeneration.
mike.griffin
Site Admin

Postby mike.griffin on Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:34 pm

Ha, It looks like it does support OLEDB and schema rowsets, as seen here:

http://search.sybase.com/kbx/changerequests?bug_id=354317

So Bill, if we knock ourselves out this when would we have to to get you a Sybase Version by to prevent you from using another product?
mike.griffin
Site Admin

Postby Bill Cohagan on Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Mike
It's probably not worth knocking yourselves out! Actually we're scheduled to submit the PR today. We're already in our 2nd 30 day trial extension for Codesmith.

There are some other issues with MyGeneration as well, one being (unless I've misunderstood) the lack of intellisense in the UI. My impression is that this will be addressed as well in 2.0.

So, I'm thinking it's probably stretching for us to go with 1.x at this point; however, given the similarity between the approaches and the existence of a Codesmith \"converter\" we may well take another look later on. Our motivation will be the need for additional licenses as the whole code generation approach gains visibility and acceptance in the organization.

Although it was authored by someone else, I've done a bit of bug fixing in the Codesmith \"schema provider\" for Sybase. When you're ready to publish your interface specs for your plugins let me know and I'll take a look at possibly porting over that code.

Regards,
Bill
Bill Cohagan
Lurker

Postby mike.griffin on Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:51 pm

Okay, great. I will contact you then. I know intellisense is a big help, hopefully we can 2.0 out there soon. Best of luck to you guys.
mike.griffin
Site Admin

Postby justin.greenwood on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:32 pm

CodeSmith is a good product and does the job. Of course we think we have a lot to offer that CodeSmith doesn't, but when it comes to professional documentation and features such as intellisense, CodeSmith is better. CodeSmith is pretty expensive for the rogue programmer, but for a large company that is willing and able to make the investment, it's a good choice.
justin.greenwood
Site Admin

Postby burning snow on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi folks,

I just wanted to hear if there are some new informations about sybase and mygeneration?

Thank you very much in advance.
burning snow
Lurker

Postby mike.griffin on Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:16 pm

Well, I know of one user who had created a Sybase MyMeta plugin but for some reason never shared it? Perhaps he'll see this post and be willing to share?
mike.griffin
Site Admin

Postby burning snow on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:30 pm

Do you know which user it was?

burning snow
Lurker

Postby burning snow on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi mike,

I just started to write my own Sybase Plugin. Now I've got several problems with the information in the MyMeta Tables.

I just wanted to the method GetTableColums and I don't know which data have to be inserted in the following rows.

Code: Select all
row[\"AUTO_KEY_SEED\"] = row[\"\"];
row[\"AUTO_KEY_INCREMENT\"] = row[\"\"];
row[\"TYPE_NAME\"] = row[\"\"];
row[\"NUMERIC_PRECISION\"] = row[\"\"];
row[\"NUMERIC_SCALE\"] = row[\"\"];
row[\"CHARACTER_MAXIMUM_LENGTH\"] = row[\"\"];
row[\"CHARACTER_OCTET_LENGTH\"] = row[\"\"];

The other thing is that I don't know what to do with DBTarget.xml and Language.xml. Cause Sybase has following Column Types.

smallint
integer
numeric
float
double
date
char
char
varchar
long varchar
binary
long binary
timestamp
time
tinyint
bigint
unsigned int
unsigned smallint
unsigned bigint
bit
java.lang.Object
java serialization
decimal
varbinary

Is there any more documentation for MyMeta.dll than this one (http://www.mygenerationsoftware.com/por ... fault.aspx).

burning snow
Lurker

Return to Enhancements